- by: UniAdmission
- Category: University Profiles
City University London Profile
City University London is part of the University of London and among the best universities in the world. It gives students an opportunity to experience studying in one of the most culturally diverse, vivacious and exciting cities in the world. With one of the highest population of non-EU students in the UK, it is the ideal place for international students to experience the thrill of living in the heart of one of the most vibrant cities in Europe with a rich history and fascinating culture. City University welcomes international students and is happy to have students that are looking to start their university education in the city of London. With alumni which include multiple past UK prime ministers and CEOs, City is among the best universities in UK.
Founded in 1894 as the Northampton Institute, City became a university in 1966 and joined the University of London in September 2016 as one of the 18 London colleges and 10 research centres. As a part of this network, City serves in excess of 13,000 students annually, over 6,700 of which are international. With a student-staff ratio of 16.6 and over 860 staff, over 330 of which are international, City values the overall student experience as well as its innovative style of education. City consists of five different schools: the School of Health Sciences, Cass Business School; the School of Mathematics Science and Engineering; the School of Arts and Social Sciences and the City Law School broken up into around 40 departments.
The Guardian University Guide 2017 ranks City University in the top 20 universities to study in the UK. City University London ranking was 1st for student satisfaction in London in the 2017 Complete University Guide and 1st for teaching quality in London in the 2016 Times University League Table.
City is the only university in London that is committed to academic excellence as well as a focus on business and the professions. The courses taught are augmented by the innovative research of the teaching staff. The 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF) rated 75.7% of the submission by City University as ‘world-leading’ (4*) and 23.3% as ‘internationally excellent’ (3*). Furthermore, the academic expertise which City offers is complemented by the university’s dual focus on business and the professions. It also affords the chance to interact directly with potential employers, thus giving credence and relevance to the courses, many of which have placement opportunities, London internships and high-profile visiting lecturers.
INTO City University Foundation Year
INTO City University London offers foundation year for international students with three starts, January, July and September start. The program starting in July will ensure that students are adequately prepared for the English language level required for success on the university foundation including 24-hour intensive English course. City University pathway is available in all business degrees, economics, computer science, engineering, humanities, law and politics. INTO foundation pathway gives students better access and guarantees progression to year one of the bachelor degree at City University of London.
Exchange and Study Abroad
These programmes give international students in undergraduate degrees the opportunity to spend time in London, and students who are currently at Citi the opportunity to experience life at a university overseas. For international students who are interested in studying in London as a part of their degree at another university, there are two ways in which this can happen:
- Study Abroad Programme by which students can come to City for a semester or full academic year that from a partner institution and can experience the university as well as London.
- Partnership Exchange programmes by which students currently enrolled at one of the universities with whom City has a formal exchange partnership can experience the university for a limited time.
City students who are interested in spending time at an overseas university as a part of their course may do so under the City Student Exchange programme.
City University ranks amongst the best academic institutions in the UK. Its strong focus on postgraduate education is noticeable in its student population, over a third of which are enrolled in postgraduate taught or research degrees. The university’s undergraduate program is supported by one of the best foundation year programs for international students. The university offers postgraduate and undergraduate degrees across the following academic schools:
Cass Business School: As the business school attached to the university, Cass attracts high calibre students from around the world. Noted amongst the international elite of business schools and the full time MBA programme is ranked in the top 10 in the UK by the Financial Times in 2016. It has accreditation from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), the Association of MBAs (AMBA) and the European Quality Improvement System (EQUIS).
City Law School: This is one best law schools in the world that offers a variety of professional courses and law degrees in London. It can be found in the heart of ‘legal London’, and was the earliest law school in London to train scholars and practitioners at all steps of legal education.
The School of Health Sciences: This is devoted to learning and research in the health professions. Teaching future leaders and the quest for lifetime knowledge are essential to its ethos.
The School of Engineering & Mathematical Sciences: This offers a wide range of courses informed by research and echoing the altering requirements of industry, with which it keeps strong links.
The School of Arts & Social Science: This offers an intellectually challenging setting with widespread associations with those employed in the arts, media and cultural sectors in the UK and overseas.
- The Student Centre at City, University of London gives assistance and support to present and future students. Dedicated advisors give useful help with various aspects of student life ranging from finances, visas and immigration, registration, learning, course fees.
- The services offered include advice on courses, careers and university facilities, multi-faith chaplaincy service, personal tutors as well as services for students with disabilities and dyslexia.
- In recognition of its excellence, the Student Centre is accredited by the Institute of Customer Service. This is the only UK university student centre with such an honour.
- City has also greatly invested in technological advances which help in educating the students such as the high-tech laboratory, computing and library facilities, Moodle – the E-learning environment at the institution which grants immediate access to course materials, resources, interactive assessment and activities as well as tools for communication.
- There are also various instances of good practice at the university such as the support of new students during induction through the use of student buddies.
The university also organises a variety of career and work related advice for both alumni and students over the course of the year.
- Here, a varied assortment of activities for the students to get involved including over 50 clubs and societies, a student radio and TV as well as a student newspaper is offered.
- Also available is a varied student entertainment programme as well as an array of volunteering opportunities.
- The services provided for all members of the university by the Student Union include support, facilities, entertainment, representation and activities.
- There are six halls of residence from which students can pick for accommodation.
- Students can also wish to live in private properties in London which is well served by bus, underground and train.
- City, University of London accepts applications from students attaining excellence in a widespread variety of UK and international qualifications.
- Although the entry requirements differ from course to course, the average UCAS tariff point for new students entering the university is 371.
- Applications are measured against both academic and non-academic criteria specific to the course for which an application has been made.
For several courses, these will surpass the universal minimum requirements of the institution, which are:
- A demonstration of an extensive general education is needed for all applicants with acceptable levels of numeracy and literacy, equal to at least grade C in GCSE English Language and Mathematics.
- For international students, English Language requirements differ by course and department but are typically equal to IELTS 6.0–7.0 (or 5.5 for foundation courses).
- A university Honours degree or comparable for alternative qualifications in an undergraduate degree or experience is usually required for applicants for taught postgraduate courses and research degrees.
Students who wish to be in the city of London and have a burning desire to be part of one of the best universities in UK; City University is a great choice as it is guaranteed to give you everything you need as international student.